English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web.
Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web. 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
Hi,

I've got problem with restoring with akeeba backup websites created with jms. I guess that I'm not the only one because akeeba backup is an extreemely popular component. I didn't found information about this incompatibilities so I post this message as other jms users may found that their backups cannot be restored safely.

---
here is the problem

The backup contains everything, the master as well as the slave as they are in the standard multisites/ directory

First the configuration.php created by akeeba backup is unwritable. This is easy to change though.

The problem also is that the jms links are absolute (if I'm not wrong) and that it is not possible therefore to restore the web site to another place (another host provider for instance which typically no not have the same path).

Also, if one try to restore it on the same machine ut in a different place (for instance to create a copy), then this a total big mess as the absolute links point to the other site and one got no message at all. In fact one is working on the original web site without knowing that.

What is even worse is that the database used is also the original one because the slave websites that inherit the master database ("Parameters that come from standard Joomla configuration") seems to refer to the original configuration.php

What does that means? Simply that if one create a backup and try to restory it the website will be totally messed up. This is a bit frightening to see that there is no explict advertisment for that. Or may be I missed it

Yes I read the FAQ "Manual JMS Multisite backup/restore procedure. But I saw no reference to other solutions and I do not understand how people that do not have ssh access are supposed to do. It is really important to see from the very beginning how to create/restore web sites.

Thanks to any information on how to solve the problem
jeanmariefavre
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web. 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
As you will read in this forum several times, we have mentioned that we do not trust the akeeba backup and that they do not provide accurate backup.
This is the reason why we have provided a procedure in the FAQ to perform an accurate backup.
www.jms2win.com/en/faq/faq-joomla-multi-sites#cat-268

If you have any issue with akeeba backup report the issue to akeeba.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web. 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
Well your answer to my first question is clear JMS and akeeba backup are not compatible.

Anway, wrt the second question: How can we backup a website without access to ssh? I mean akeeba backup do the job as it does not follow symbolic links. But what is the solution suggested for those who do not have shell because of their provider?
jeanmariefavre
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web. 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
I don' said that Akeeba is not compatible.
I just said that we never succeeded to use it to have a backup that can be restored.
As the Zip or internal Akeeba format can event not be "unizipped" (file corupted) we never be able to see if the backup is correctly done.

If you don't have access to the SSH, perhaps you could write a shell script that you will add on your server by FTP and that you could run from a cron.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web. 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Dear Edwin,

I guess if I use CPanel's tar compressing option for the files, it is as good as SSH commands. Am I right?

Regards

Jozsef
joekker
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Problem with backups and restoring jms-based web. 12 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Yes you can try using the cPanel file manager and its compression.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla