English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Updating components on multiple slave sites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Updating components on multiple slave sites
Updating components on multiple slave sites 8 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi,

just a quick question, i have one master website and 5 slave websites, and i need to upgrade few components in them.

Is it possible to update the component to the master site, then to enter each slave site administration and perform the same component upgrade from there or i might mess something?

thanks
GixxerMKD
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Updating components on multiple slave sites 8 Years ago Karma: 54
Concerning the procedure of maintenant, see chapter 8 of the user manual.
We also already answer this question in this forum.
See also the semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html

In summary: you need to distinguih:
- Update = PHP code is changed (bug fix) and DB structure is NOT modified. So you can install the update on the master only (as only the PHP code is modified)

- upGrade = PHP code + DB Structure modified but compatible with previous version. In this case you need install the upGrade into the master (to have the PHP code upgraded) and also in each the slave site to also let the extension proceed with the upgrade of the DB structure.

- Migration = PHP code and DB structure modified but incompatible. IN this case, generally you need to do an export / import.

The JMS maintenance menu in JMS can help identifying if this is an update or upgrade and discover potential DB structure modification that were not applied in the slave site.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Updating components on multiple slave sites 8 Years ago Karma: 0
When i update/upgrade component via joomla installer on single website i just choose the install file and install it. So back to the question, regardless if it's update or upgrade can i simply install the new version of the component on the master website and then to install it in each slave sites? It's easier for me to make the same install in 3 slave sites than to spend the whole day checking sql querries etc...
GixxerMKD
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2016/03/22 17:59 By GixxerMKD.

Re: Updating components on multiple slave sites 8 Years ago Karma: 54
Let me repeat the answer in another way.

You say that you perform the update/update BUT this is on a website (here the master).
So this affect ONLY the master (PHP code and DB structure of the MASTER ONLY).

- Update = Only install the update in the master
- upgrade = Install the upgrade in the master (to have the PHP code updated) AND re-install the upgrade in each slave to have the DB Structure upgraded.

The JMS maintennace to the checking for you and report you the potential issue.
After that, you need to have a little knowledge in MySQL to understand if this is really an upgrade or an update.
The objective of the JMS Maintenance is to work like the Joomla extension mangaer / database => Fix button BUT for ALL extensions and not only for a limited number of extensions and without and reporting of the potential issues.

The JMS maintenance is also able to fix several extension and website simultanously.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla