English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Unable to create the symbolic link after upgrade
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Unable to create the symbolic link after upgrade
Re:Unable to create the symbolic link after upgrade 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
PHP does not provide interface to manage the permission except when you have all the privileges that will not solve the problem as if you have all the provilages, you will have no problems.
So JMS can not do anything to manage the permission issue.

This is the job of the administrator of the server to manage the permissions and sorry if I JMS can not do the job of the administrator.
I know this is not easy but I have no magic solution.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Unable to create the symbolic link after upgrade 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

I understand I have to debug it myself. But may you advise me the following?

1) May you advise me where to adjust the Joomla log level?

By default, the Joomla error level can only log the login error.

2) How to enable the ftp server to read through symbolic link. I guess the ftp layer of Joomla may help.

But our ftp server current setting was not able to read through a symbolic link. I tested our ftp server with a Filezilla client, the client cannot read the symbolic link on our servers. Did I miss anything to make our ftp server work with symbolic link.

Thanks for your kind advice in advance!

Thank you so much.

Seth
KingoftheRoad
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Unable to create the symbolic link after upgrade 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
The Joomla log level will not help you.
In JMS, it just create a symbolic link using the PHP symlink and this is the statement that cause the problem due to a permission error.
The error that is reported to you is exhaustive.

FTP Layer is NOT able to manage the symbolic links.

You need a terminal SSH connection to see them and manage the permission (if you are the administrator of this server).

FTP is not able to manage the Symbolic Links.
Sometime the hosting server administration tool provide a "file manager" that allow manage such Symbolic Links.

Normally, JMS is able to create some Symbolic Links as you have this functionality available.
When you go in JMS setting and see that Symbolic Link is allowed, this mean that JMS was able to create a temporary symbolic link.
Compare with "tmp" and "logs" directory that have correct permission when JMS settings reply "allowed".

So all your problem is located in the slave site and you have to check the permission of all the directories.

Debug the code will not help you identify the single line "symlink".
edwin2win
graph

Re:Unable to create the symbolic link after upgrade 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
We wrote a script with "symlink" to create symbolic links at a slave site. And It works.

e.g. our script is at: slavex.oursite.com/create_symlink.php

After running it, it can create symbolic links to the Master directory at the slave directory.

The permission of the result symbolic links: owner: apache, group: apache. 777.

If it's the permission problem, the apache should not be able to create those symbolic links when running the script.
KingoftheRoad
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

When I rewrote the script and put it under the master site says:

slavex.oursite.com/create_symlink.php

And make it write symbolic links to a slave deployment directory. Same result. It succeeds.

Any clues?

Seth
KingoftheRoad
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Hi Edwin,

I did a flesh install of Joomla 1.5.14 and then JMS 1.2.5 and find the following problems.

I think the real problem is "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to database" Not unable to create symbolic links.

After I fiinished the install, I started create a slave.

1. After I filedl in and config and click "save". Error message" Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to database" with a white screen.

2. I check the slave site deploy directory. Only the folders "cache", "logs", "templates" & "tmp" and file configuration.php are created. No symbolic links.

3. Then click "back" button of the browser and then check the JMS..

4. I found that the slave site was created.

5. I click the slave site and click save.

6. Then go back to check the slave deploy directory. I found that all symbolic links are created.

7. Then check the sql database. No slave sql database was created.

8. Then I check the slave site front end. Error message "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to database"

May you advise..

Many thanks.

Seth
KingoftheRoad
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla