English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: 403 errors for slave site
403 errors for slave site 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

I am having a 403 error problem. Basically all is well until I click the link on my new slave site from the Joomla backend of my master to start the installation process. Then as soon as it hits masterdemo.welna.com.au/multisites/site2/installation/index.php I get the 403 error.

Its a very baisc slave site in terms of links, I followed your tut 9 to do it and stayed pretty close to all of it (only chang is that this is site2 not site1)

Permissions on this installation directory are set to 777.

I know my host, Digital Pacific, allows symlinks (I have used them a lot in the past) and I did the who hello.zip test and didn't seem to have an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Karina
cspadmin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:403 errors for slave site 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Dear Karnia,
I have had a quick look in the path you have provided and the 403 error means that the access to this directory is forbidden.

I have been able to check the hello.php that is present in your master website.

Can you place a "hello.txt" and "hello.php" file into the /multisites/site2 directory to check that you have permission to execute them.
I think that the answer will be OK because when I call the /multisites/sites2 I am correctly redirected to the installation directory.

Can you also repeat the operation with the installation of the "hello.txt" and "hello.php" into the installation directory.

This is just to check that you have permission to execute files in this directory.
Maybe there are other files inside the installation directory that have not enough permission.

Perhaps also you could check that apaches has the option "followsymlink" enabled.
edwin2win
graph

Re:403 errors for slave site 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply, got a little tied up so didn't have a chance to do what you asked but its done now:

I put the hello txt and hello php into /multisites/site2 directory and as predicted no problems.
But as soon I repeated the process with putting the hello.txt and hello.php into the installation directory of site2 i get the 403 error.

permissions on 'installation' are set at 777 predominantly ( a few files might have 775, but that shouldn't really be an issue at this stage).

I will write to my host to find out about the followsymlinks thing for apache.

Any tips greatly appreciated,
Karina
cspadmin
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:403 errors for slave site 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Ensure also that the hello.txt and hello.php have permission 777 in the directory installation.
Check also that you don't use a .htaccess that could forbid the access to the directory.

For the moment, as you have probably understood with hello world procedure, you are trying to identify why a basic standalone file (hello.txt and hello.php) are not able to be accessed in the directory installation.
Those files does not require Joomla and JMS.
The permission error must be found outside of Joomla and JMS and therefore in the server configuration.
If both the directory and the files (hello.txt and hello.php) have the 777 permission, the only reason I see for the moment is perhaps a problem to follow the symbolic links.
This is an option in apaches.

You can also edit a default Joomla htaccess.txt files that provide the syntax of the
Options +FollowSymLinks
jms2win
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/08/05 11:28 By jms2win.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla