English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites
VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I have a joomla turnkey linux appliance (ubuntu) that I have joomla and JMS installed and working.

Everything is working fine for the master site and 4 slave sites.

However, when I try to configure a virtual host in apache to be served outside of joomla/JMS, all my JMS slave sites stop working, which means they simply list directory contents of the master directory.

Here is what my joomla site's vhost file looks like:
Code:

<VirtualHost 10.1.1.10:80>
    ServerName web01.answerfirst.com
    ServerAlias *.web01.answerfirst.com
    UseCanonicalName Off
    ServerAdmin  webmaster@answerfirst.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/share/joomla15
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 10.1.1.10:443>
    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/web01.answerfirst.com.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl.key/web01.answerfirst.com.key
    SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/sf_bundle.crt
    ServerAdmin webmaster@answerfirst.com
    DocumentRoot /usr/share/joomla15
</VirtualHost>

<Directory /usr/share/joomla15/>
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
</Directory>

and this is what my virtual host (outside of joomla--now disabled) looks like:

Code:

<VirtualHost 10.1.1.10:80>
DocumentRoot /usr/share/answerfirst.com
ServerName answerfirst.us
ServerAlias www.answerfirst.us
<Directory "/usr/share/answerfirst.com">
allow from all
Options +Indexes
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Any suggestions on the changes I need to make so I can enable the second vhost and still have my slave sites working properly?

Thanks,
James
jcass
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Sorry but personnaly, I don't see where is the mistake.

If I understand correctly the problem the
- web01.answerfirst.com
is no more available when
- answerfirst.us
is defined

Or this is the reverse.
edwin2win
graph

Re: VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
web01.answerfirst.com is the vhost definition that points to my joomla installation.

answerfirst.us is a second vhost definition, that is outside of joomla/jms. If I enable the answerfirst.us vhost (a2ensite...) then all my slave sites configured under JMS stop working.

My goal is to be able to serve my joomla master site, all my slave sites, and any vhosts I have configured via apache that are outside of joomla/jms. Is this possible?

If it is possible, given the symptoms I'm having, where do I need to make a change? Apache or within JMS?

Thanks
jcass
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Before analyzing the JMS configuration, the first thing that I would like to understand is if your apache configuration provide the correct information and that you reach your correct domains when everything is defined.

Based on what I have understood, it seems that your apache does not recognize the other domains.

To check that, just put a "hello.txt" file into the different document root with a different content (or simply different file name) and verify that your apache configuration is correct and reply for each domain or subdomain with the appropriate directory.

Once you will have the correct apache configuration, we could concentrate on the JMS Multisites setup and verify that domain name or subdomain name received are correct.
edwin2win
graph

Re: VHosts outside of JMS config disable JMS sites 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Ok, I did that test. Whenever I enable the vhosts configured in apache (using a2ensite) then the ServerName matches the DocumentRoot. In addition, JMS slave sites (that do not have a vhost configured) will not come up, only showing the directory structure of the main joomla vhost DocumentRoot.

When the only vhost enabled is the main joomla vhost, then master JMS site and all the slave sites come up appropriately, and their DocumentRoot is the main joomla vhost DocumentRoot.

At least form these results, it looks to me like apache is working appropriately when the vhosts are enabled. Each ServerName comes up in it's assigned DocumentRoot.

To explain additional results, if I create a vhost definition in apache for each of the JMS slave sites, then the templates associated for each of those slave sites is incorrect.

Any thoughts?

James
jcass
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

For me the result is not correct as you mentionned that when you define the main vhost all the domains are working.
Perhaps they are working but are sharing the same document root that is not the expected result.

The idea would be to have as many domain (or subdomain) with specific document root.
Later you could use the Symbolic Link to share the directories.

So based on the decription you give, the test fails.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla