English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

What is the situation with install using CPanel
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: What is the situation with install using CPanel
What is the situation with install using CPanel 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
One year ago I bought Joomla Multisites as well as paying services but I could not manage to have it worked because of permission issues linked to CPanel.

I want to know if the issues have been solved ....

Thanks,

LK
loicm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What is the situation with install using CPanel 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Can you remember us the cPanel issue that you seems have encountered.

All I can tell you is that cPanel itself exists with full priivileges and does not require anymore actions from the hosting provider to share the MySQL tables.

We know at least one hosting company (www.hostgator.com) that provide cPanel with shared hosting that does not require any additional support from the hosting company.

JMS Multisites has no issue with cPanel and you have several video that show how it works with cPanel - see the tutorial video CP-xx
www.jms2win.com/tutorial

If you are using your own server, up to you to configure you cPanel correctly and provide the correct permissions.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2010/10/21 09:50 By edwin2win.

Re: What is the situation with install using CPanel 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
The issue was with the permission - 'nobody' could not create the symlinks ...

It worked with suPHP but I found out that running php as CGI took much more resources than without.

Now I see that there is Joomla 1.6 and maybe some improvements on your side and/or Cpanel.

On the other hand, I am going to change my server so maybe you can give me hints on how to configure Cpanel or give me a clear statement that I can pass to my ISP. This would benefit others as well ...

Thanks,

LK
loicm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: What is the situation with install using CPanel 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Use cPanel with appropriate ownership remain mandatory and this does not concern JMS Multisites. So see with your hosting company and suPHP is the solution.
If you don't want to solve the ownership problem, the latest JMS Multisites will give you the same result as this does not concern JMS Multisites but the hosting environment itself.

There is no improvment to try hacking the operating system and the permission on the files and folders. This is the responsability of the administrator of the server to provide correct user management and permissions.

You have plenty of cPanel video in the tutorial.
www.jms2win.com/tutorial
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2010/10/21 14:09 By edwin2win.

Re: What is the situation with install using CPanel 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Actually the issues lies with Apache. it might be solved on shared hosting environment like Hostgator but on any Cpanel (Apache as webserver) install, you will have to use either suPHP or fastCGI to run the process as the account owner instead of Apache and thus enable Symlinks.

There are consequence by using suPHP or fastCGI instead of DSO (mod_PHP).

I guess this should be clarified all the more as it is not your software that is responsible for such a predicament but Apache ... . Hostgator is neither using Apache nor Cpanel .... and Cpanel is the preferred environment for dedicated servers.

On the otherway, it might be possible to switch between handler by recompiling Apache. Once the symlinks are created, they should remain ....
loicm
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/10/21 23:50 By loicm.

You are completly wrong.
Hostgator is using cPanel and is working perfectly.
Recent cPanel available at hostgator also has the ALL PRIVILEGES issue solve concerning the sharing of extension.

So get inspired of a professional hosting company like www.hostgator.com that provide perfectly setup apache and cPanel environment. You can already start with share hosting like baby plan that do the job perfectly.

I suggest that you solve your hosting problem with your hosting company and not with us that are not responsible for environment provided by your hosting company.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla