English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Share users from master website instead of Slave1
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Share users from master website instead of Slave1
Share users from master website instead of Slave1 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I've reviewed the tutorial videos on sharing users, but I need something a little bit different in my setup. What I've got is a master (public) website where MultiSites is installed. From that I've deployed a slave website (template) with it's own database that holds the default content for all of my client sites.

So all of my clients register on the master website. I deploy client websites from the master using the template as the source for content. Problem is, the client websites share their users with the table on the template website, not the master site.

I realize that the recommended method is to deploy the public site as a slave, as shown in the video, but this is an extensive site that wouldn't be practical to administer in that manner.

My question is, is it possible to link the template site's database to the user table in the master website? I don't know anything about MySQL, but it seems like this is the same thing that the client websites are doing in sharing with the template, with the difference that the tables in this case would be located in two different databases.
myathleticresume
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Share users from master website instead of Slave1 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
When you decide to share an extension (ie. the users), they are shared wtih the website that is defined as "template site".

So if you have followed the tutorial video 16, we have presented the case where the master is not public and where the slave1 is the public website in which are physically stored the users.
The Slave 1A shaing the tables with Slave1.

If you want to share the users with the master, you can create a JMS Template rule that replicate the master with sharing of its users.

When you share extension, the sharing always try declare the link directly to the place where are stored the users.
See the tutorial video 0.b slide 24 that show something with the group website.

So YES you can do that if you replicate the master and ask to share its users.

Remark:
You can NOT change existing websites.
When websites already have their own users, they can not be converted into shared users because the user ID could be different from one website to the other.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Share users from master website instead of Slave1 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Okay, I was able to set this up from your advice above by doing the following:

1. Create a new template using the master website as source, with user sharing on

2. Deploy a new site from that template to use as my staging site. I removed all components, modules and content that were cloned from the original master site and replaced it with the content I want to deploy on my client sites

3. Create a new multisites template using the staging site as source, again with the users shared

Client sites deployed from this second JMS template use the users from the master site, but the content from the template (staging) site.

My problem now is that I think this may not have been what I wanted - I need each site to be restricted to it's owner, and not the rest of the users in the database. Is this not what the "Owner" option in the Site Details page is supposed to accomplish?

All of my users are "registered", not authors or admins. They need to be able to login to the frontend of the website to edit through a Form2Content setup that I've created for them, but obviously shouldn't be able to edit someone else's site.

Any ideas on how to set this up? I found this thread (link) from someone last year asking the same question, but I wasn't sure from the answer there how to resolve the problem.
myathleticresume
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/09/12 07:48 By myathleticresume.

Re:Share users from master website instead of Slave1 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
It is not possible to share only few users.
The concept of the sharing of extensions is to share the MySQL tables and therefore all the records.
So this is correct that all the users are shared between the websites.

If you want to restrict the access to some articles or some content, you have to investigate the usage of ACL application.
Perhaps (not guarantee) that NoixACL could help you.
We can just tell you that this NoixACL is an extension that can also be shared.

If you are using "forms" extension, you could use CKForms that has the advantage that it can be shared. For your info, some customer requested us to modify this CKForms to restrict the access to shared records created by a slave site ID. So if you need such things, we could investigate with you if such specific extension could do what you request.
This is possible with our billable support
www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1

The idea at the origin was to have specfic "leads form" that are filled in slave site and allow the manager of each slave site to see only their records but the headoffice of the company requested to see all the leads of all the dealers.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Share users from master website instead of Slave1 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

I have created the Slave following the sharing-users-video instructions but from Master to Slave, not from slave to slave. (and only to share joomla users, not jomsocial)

However, I am still not seeing the joomla users in my created slave admin-backend.

Please advice,

J
javier011
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Share users from master website instead of Slave1 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
Cross-check that you have effectivelly created the MySQL table users that point to the master.
If you have a table instead of a link then you make a mistake in the sharing definition.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla