English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Advice on Slave Setup - Addon Domain
Advice on Slave Setup - Addon Domain 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble configuring my slave site. I have a master site that already exists at master.com. I want to create a slave site on slave1.com that shares the same users that already exist at master.com. My plan is to have my slave site use a seperate database to the master, and use the standard jos_ prefix.

So i have purchased my slave1.com domain, set the DNS settings to point to the same as master.com. I then added an add-on domain in master.com's CPANEL, the addon domain points to the same folder path as the master install (see example below).

Master Site
Domain: master.com
Folder Path: home/user/public_html

Slave Site
Domain: slave1.com (Add-On Domain configured via CPANEL)
Folder Path: home/user/public_html (Same path as master, as suggested in user manual)

Now i have to create the slave website in the multisite component. I login to master.com administration panel. Components > Multisites > Manage Sites > New.

Now my question is, how is the best way to configure my slave1.com site. eg. From the "Templates" drop down. Do i have to use the Master DB template so i can share the master users with slave? Or is it possible to create a "fresh slave site" and still share users with the master database

Also what should i set the slave site's "deployed directory" to? Should this be left blank or should it point to a new folder?

I appreciate any advice on the questions above, and if you notice something i'm doing wrong, please let me know. Also, just as a side note my host does allow symbolic links in case i need to use them in some way.

Thanks
phantomlimb
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Advice on Slave Setup - Addon Domain 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
If you want to share the user, this can only be performed during a replication.
So create a fresh slave site with shared users is not possible because the "users" table must exists and can not be removed and replaced once a website is created.

So you have to create a JMS website template that consists in the replcation of the master website where in the "sharing" tabs you have selected to share the users.
This is moreless the same as in the tutorial video 16 except that you do not create a fresh slave site where you will store the users.

In general, I do not recommend to share the users with the master website.
You should better consider the master website as a repository or a library where all the extensions are installed and that is used to create the slave sites.
But you can do it.

So get inspired from the tutorial video 16 www.jms2win.com/tutorial#jms12x-16
edwin2win
graph

Re: Advice on Slave Setup - Addon Domain 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Sorry for replying in someone elses thread, but can you please eleborate, *why* is it not reccomended to share users directly from a (live) master website?

I have the same 'problem' at hand.
spritje
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male robert.zijl Dutch Digital Imaging Gateway Location: The Netherlands
Dutch Digital Imaging Gateway - www.d-dig.nl

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla