English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Sharing users between 2 Domains
Sharing users between 2 Domains 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
We have site A (master) and are building site B with its own domain name (slave).

I have looked at the instructional videos but none quite explain how to set up two or more separate domains to share users. I only see information on creating multisites within directories.

What exactly do I need to do first? Create a template and then define a managed site?

Some detailed instructions would be helpful. I've searched the forums but have found no specific answers. As well, I've already viewed this video: www.jms2win.com/tutorial#jms12x-16

Thanks.
zee
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sharing users between 2 Domains 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Hi zee,

First you create your master site to administer multisites
Then create first site to share users (not master sites users, this sites users)
Then create template rule
Then first slave site which shares first site users (not master sites users)
Then second slave site which shares first site users (again not master sites users)
Then third... etc.
Bendo
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Sharing users between 2 Domains 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks Bendo!

Okay, now the next question is what fields are required and what fields are not? That is also a part of my confusion.

I want each site to use it's own database. But the slave site will share its users. What settings do I need to set specifically?

This is where my confusion comes in. This component seems to have a steep learning curve to use.

Thanks again!
zee
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Sharing users between 2 Domains 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Thanks also Bendo!
Excellent reply.

In JMS template, you need at least to select the website to "replicate" or "share" (in your case where).
You also have to review the "folders and file" tab.
Define which extension you want to share. In general the "Joomla User" is the minimum to share extension.

The other parameters like list of domain, new DB parameters and so on are just helpfull because they provide the default value and avoid that you have to enter them each time you will use the template.
So define the generic rule using the "keyword" like {site_id}, ...

If you define a JMS templates correctly, you can reduce the number of parameters that you will have to enter when you create a slave site (here with sharing).
Creation of a slave site could be reduced to enter a site ID, select a template and provide a new site title.

In case where you want to share the user accross DBs, it is important to provide a MySQL user that has enough privileges.
Sometimes, it is required to create the DB prior to create the slave site.
It is also recommended to use the same MySQL user for the different DBs and provide this MySQL user the privileges on all the DBs.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Sharing users between 2 Domains 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Please see below...
zee
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/03/11 10:24 By zee.

Re:Sharing users between 2 Domains 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Let me explain things in great detail. And if you will, please provide answers in great detail. That is the only way to understand. Right now too many vague instructions are being given.

I have two sites that already exist. One is DASOUTH.COM and the other is DASOUTHTV.COM. The first domain is to be the MASTER site, and the second is to be the SLAVE. DASOUTHTV.COM has not been launched yet. All it has now is a fresh install of Joomla 1.5.15. I want each site to have its very own database. I want the two domains to share users only - not content. Users will only need one account for both sites.

Lastly, these two sites are not in the same root directory, but do have symbolic link enabled for both. They also have permission to share the same database.

Please answer the following questions according to number if possible.

QUESTION #1:
What is the FIRST thing I need to do? Do I set up a managed site first, define a template first or something else?

QUESTION #2:
What are the EXACT paramaters I need to set for the template? What would be the settings YOU would set? How many templates do I need to make for only the setup I'm asking about?

The master site directory is: /home/MASTER/public_html.

The slave site directory is: /home/SLAVE/public_html

QUESTION #3:
What are the EXACT paramaters I need to set for the managed sites? What would be the settings YOU would set? How many managed sites do I need to make for only the setup I'm asking about?

Please provide example database settings where needed.

Thanks.
zee
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/03/11 10:45 By zee.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla