English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template?
Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I have a slave site that works with its own template. When I visit the https version of the slave site, it renders with the master's template.

www.summitpointkart.com
www.summitpointkart.com (wrong template)

Master site:
www.summitpoint-raceway.com

Any idea where I should look to fix this?
geminga_deleted
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
Cherk that you have defined the slave site with the "https" in the list of domains.
I suppose YES as you have a slave site displayed.

If YES, the check if the port (443) is present in the URL. If this is the case then this is normal that JMS display the master because it does not support the port yet.

I suspect that the browser or other think add the port 443 in the URL to get the template.
Perhaps (I don't know) it is possible to check this hypothesis when having a look in the stat of the websites.

If this is a "port" problem, we have currently fixed it internally and the fix will be included in the next release of JMS. This "port" problem was reported with XMLRPC and perhaps this is similar problem.

Otherwise, I don't have any other idea.
This may require a deep analysis on your server.
If you want that we analyze that on your server, we have billable support that can be ordered at www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1
edwin2win
graph

Re: Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
With HTTPS, it is not possible to separate many sites on one webserver by host/domain name.

Because HTTPS requires a certificate which is associated with a specific domain, any webserver which has HTTPS enabled will send ALL HTTPS requests, or all port :443 requests, to the host/domain name specified in the certificate, even if a different host/domain is specified in the browser request.

the obscene part is that the webserver typically won't even re-direct.

This is similar to what happens when a browser is only capable of HTTP 1.0 requests, because specifying a host/domain name in the request is part of the HTTP 1.1 protocol.

I can see how this would create problems with JMS, where parsing the host/domain part of the HTTP request is crucial for the component to work.
jmsalazarjr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
I don't understand your problem as I have customer that are using HTTPS.
They have deployed the slave sites into a specific directory.
Therefore as you can have as many root directory as you have domain, you can store the certificate for each domain.

So why are you sharing the same directory for all the domains.
You just have to create your domain in speicifc directory and ask JMS deploy the website in this directory.

The only case where you could not do that is on Wndows platfomr that does not give you the possibility to deploy a slave site into a specific directory as the "Symbolic Link" functionality is not supported by Windows.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
It's not me having any problem, I was trying to answer the original questioner by showing one of the pitfalls of HTTPS on a shared server.

Each SSL certificate "hogs" all HTTP :443 requests to a particular IP address. Each secure domain name needs its own IP address, because HTTP over SSL is not permitted to specify a hostname the way HTTP 1.1 does. If a HTTPS request comes in on a specific IP address, only one name can receive and respond to those requests.

So, if the original questioner has a webserver which serves many domain names on one IP address, only one of those sites can be attached to HTTPS requests.

Well, maybe geminga does have unique IP addresses and none of this is related to his problem at all. I didn't mean to muddy the waters. I guess your original solution was sufficient for geminga, as he hasn't been back asking for more help on this subject. Still, it's a common mistake which is made by shared-hosting customers who have one IP address, many domain names, and trying to use HTTPS somewhere.
jmsalazarjr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/02/15 00:54 By jmsalazarjr.

Re: Slave's HTTPS connection utlizes master template? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
All I was missing was the https:// in the domains on the site manager tab

thanks
geminga_deleted
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla