English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123456
TOPIC: Joomla 1.5-1.7 upgrade
Joomla 1.5-1.7 upgrade 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
I believe most of my required components plugins and modules have been upgraded to support the new 1.6/1.7 Joomla, including JMS Multi Site. The upgrade/migration process for a standard site seems kind of straight forward; however I believe it there might be more things for me to consider when doing so with my JMS Multi Sites.

I'm currently hosting 11 slave sites under my master site, and I want to make the upgrade as smooth as possible, and at the same time I want to make sure I have a good backup of my current configuration should the worst happen, so that I can as quickly as possible revert to the current configuration. I know I've seen in the past where you, Mr. Edwin, have provided guidance on how to properly backup the master and slave sites, and preserver the symlink folders; however, I never can seem to find it and I don't see a guide on the tutorial page either, so if you would be so kind as to either guide me to where you have already spelled it out, post it here, or add it to the tutorials I would greatly appreciate that.

Once I have my site backed up and can start the upgrade/migration, can you say whether it is possible to actually migrate the master site and the slave sites? Or do I have to doe a new install? Part of the bonus of JMS Multisite was upgrading the master site, upgraded all the sites, but the differences from 1.5 to 1.6 were so heaving that not Even the Joomla Development team could provide a direct upgrade path rather a separate migration tool, so I'm concerned that if I migrate my master site that I will then "lose" the ability to migrate the slave sites, and because they were not migrated, the will fail to load when accessed then because their database/file structure no longer supports the version of Joomla installed on the master site.

I thank you for you time, input, and amazing product that truly saved me, and I look forward to hearing back from you. I realize this is the start of the weekend, so if you are unable to respond I understand, and hope that you enjoy your time.
samhnky
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Joomla 1.5-1.7 upgrade 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
I found the backup instructions in the FAQ... I think you should add that to the tutorial page.
samhnky
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Joomla 1.5-1.7 upgrade 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
Concerning the migration of Joomla 1.5 to 1.7, we didn't yet tested such scenario and you probably right that the migration might be more difficult after you migrate the master.

Can you tell us which migration tool you expect to use.

I think that you should have to convert the DB layout of the slave site before the master one and finally replace the Joomla PHP code with the latest joomla version.

I think that joomla will include a tool in joomla 1.8 to help people migrate their existing joomla 1.5 websites.
edwin2win
graph

The only instructions I had looked at to this point are on Joomla's website:
docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_Joomla_1.5_to_Joomla_1.6

Which recomends using jUprade to upgrade both the Database and the php files.

I was thinking that I might have to do a dummy joomla 1.5 install and migrate a slave site and convert, and then migrate to a joomla 1.7 slave site. But I haven't "practiced" or researched much yet, as I had hoped to find something here on your site, since the component supports up to the 1.7 version, I just assumed there was some type of process already "planned" out somewhere...
samhnky
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Anymore thoughts?
samhnky
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Joomla 1.5-1.7 upgrade 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
Sorry but for the moment we didn't yet migrate any joomla 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.7.0 or 1.7.1

Between 1.7.0 and 1.7.1, Joomla published the manual procedure to do the migration.
Based on what you reported, they didn't provided any alternative procedure to perform the upgrade from joomla 1.5 to 1.6 or from joomla 1.5 to 1.7.

So for the moment, we can not give you advises.
Perhaps that somebody already did it and will share his/her info.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2011/09/30 11:31 By edwin2win.

Go to topPage: 123456
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla