English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: cPanel to DirectAdmin
cPanel to DirectAdmin 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,

I'm using JMS 1.2.94. I'm wondering, if I move my database to a remote server, do I have to manually change the MySQL hostname in each site's configuration.php, or is there any tool for batch processing?

Also, I have a question about migration. Kind of long, sorry.

I’m not sure if this is outside of your support or not, but I thought I’d try. Just tell me if you can’t help me with this.

My site structure is simple, I replicate the master site (running JMS and Partial User Sharing) to subfolders (they are accessed through www.domain.com/subfolder only). One domain only. No subdomains, no DNS mapping, no extra domains, etc.

Currently I'm using cpanel, but I want to move to a new host which only provides DirectAdmin.

My question is:

The cpanel folder structure is /home/username/public_html, right?

And the Directadmin folder structure is /home/username/public_html, but the public_html is a symbolic link that points to /home/domains/domain.com/public_html.

My question is, if I move my Joomla from cPanel to DirectAdmin, will the old symbolic links still work? If not, what can I do to fix this? Can you clarify this for me?

Thank you.
mattesar
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: cPanel to DirectAdmin 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
If you move your MySQL server on another machine, yes you have to update manually the "configuration.php" in each websites.
There is no "batch" tool to perform such modification.

What do you mean by migration ?
Do you mean migration from joomla 1.5 to 2.5 or something else.

If you mean change of hosting environment and keep the same joomla version (here cPanel to Direct Admin) then the answer is mainly related to limitation of Direct Admin.
With Direct Admin, each domains or subdomains have their own account.
Therefore, when you want to share the same joomla, you need to provide more privileges to allow different account sharing the files. The setup of a Direct Admin generally require the root login and is less easy to setup than cPanel. We consider a factor of 3 in the time of configuration. Something that we can do in 3 hours on cPanel sometimes takes 9 hours on Direct Admin.
If you continue to work on subfolder, this is not a problem as you will have the same ownership for all the files. My remark mainly concern the different domains (I don't remember the limiation for the subdomains).

With JMS 1.3, there is a "maintenance" menu that help doing a "batch" processing concerning the "symbolic links". It is possible to remove all and rebuild all.
edwin2win
graph

Re:cPanel to DirectAdmin 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Yes, I meant changing hosting environment. I only want to use subfolders, so as your answer said -

"If you continue to work on subfolder, this is not a problem as you will have the same ownership for all the files. My remark mainly concern the different domains (I don't remember the limiation for the subdomains)"

- my site should work as usual after changing from cpanel to DA. That's a great relief. Thank you!

Can I be able to just update from 1.2 to 1.3 if I buy 1.3?
mattesar
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:cPanel to DirectAdmin 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
If you have purchased JMS 1.2.x within the last 12 month, we can send you a discount coupon to buy the new JMS 1.3.x at a lower price.

As you purchased in June 2012, I will send you a discount coupon by email.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla