English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

converting a slave site into a standalone site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: converting a slave site into a standalone site
converting a slave site into a standalone site 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi edwin.

I thought I'd posted this but I obviously haven't!

although I think that multisites is a cracking bit of software I;m beginning to think that it perhaps isn't really for me.

The problem lies, I think, in the operation and management of all the different extensions. At first glance, everything is ok, but when getting into the functions of the extensions I'm coming across things that just aren't working as they should. They are working on an identical standalone site ok, but not on the slaves.

I've got jomsocial/joomla authentication issues and bugs in iJoomla Ad Agency to name but a few.

As I said, I'm not having a go at multisites; I just think that it's not quite right for my situation.

The problem is that I have 5 identical slave sites with different data (directories, members, etc) that I'd like to convert to standalone joomla installations. So, what I need to ask is:

Is there an easy way to do this?

Is it as simple as copying the database into a clean joomla install?

Or...should I be doing this? Will 1.3 cure these issues do you think?

Will multisites create duplicate sites that aren't slaves, i.e. create a complete standalone site that doesn't have to share a Joomla installation?

Many thanks Edwin

Paul
luds
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: converting a slave site into a standalone site 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
The procedure to convert a slave site into a standalone website is simple.

Remember that the concept of JMS is to share the same joomla application with the master.

So backup the master website and restore it somewhere.
It contain the joomla application (php code) with all the extensions.
Uninstall the JMS patches and JMS.
So that you have restored a standalone master.

Now you can replace the "configuration.php" by the one of your slave sites.
If you had created specific /images directory or /templates directory or other specific files, you need to backup them and restore in your standalone location to replace the master one by the slave one.

If you want to keep the slave site where it is, you can also replace all the symbolic links by a physical copy of the directories. In fact this will copy joomla instead of sharing it.

JMS 1.3.x does not contain any slave site export (or import)
edwin2win
graph

Re:converting a slave site into a standalone site 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for that edwin,

If I'm getting this error in this component (iJoomla Ad Agency) would this be a multisites or ad agency issue?

Fatal error: Call to undefined method TableadagencyAds::getErrorMsg() in /home/c0mmun1t/public_html/administrator/components/com_adagency/models/adagencystandard.php on line 304

I assume it's trying to access a standalone site structure given the path.

Paul
luds
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:converting a slave site into a standalone site 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
This seems to be an issue in the iJoomla Ad Agency.

The error means that a static function "getErrorMsg" does not exists in the object class "TabeadagencyAds".
So contact iJoomla and report them the issue.
edwin2win
graph

Re:converting a slave site into a standalone site 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin.

Thanks for those instructions...still haven't managed to do it yet though!

I've had trouble transferring the files into another acount as cpanel doesn't seem to like complete backups being installed in another account!

Anyway...I'm as a stage where I've got a new account with a different master domain name and the database tables inside a new set of databases.

I've replicated the DB users in the new site and linked them to the new DB's.

I assume that my first tasks will be to change the new config.php file to suit the new master site DB and then get into the master site joomla admin and alter the multisites DB details in the Sites?

At this point I'm backing it all up!!!

Now, I've 5 slave sites to separate here so please could you tell me if this seems ok?

I now follow your instructions...uninstall the patches and then the component.
Then I replace the master site config file with the 1st slave site.

Hopefully I'll then see the slave site working under the cpanel account's domain at this point.

My next task is the critical one...to take the existing slave site down.

To do this I assume that I simply remove the existing addon domain, create a new cpanel account with that domain and move the new standalone site into it?

Is the master DB needed now or is all the info contained in the slave1 DB, as to keep cpanel happy I'll just copy the home directory over and the DB that's required?

Many thanks for this Edwin

Paul
luds
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:converting a slave site into a standalone site 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
If you are using the same server, it is not require to update the config DB connection immediately as you can always connect on the DB of another cPanel account as long as you know the DB name, DB user, DB password.

This can be the last step.

When you work with cPanel, you can start create a subdomain in your new cPanel to test the restore.
So that you will be able to access the new "restored" website from the subdomain and when you are OK, you can decide to switch the information in cPanel.
As this is probably an AddOn domain, you will have to remove the AddOn domin in the cPanel that is live and create a new "Addon Domain" in the new cPanel.

As soon as cPanel is modified and give a new "document root" for the new cPanel account, you don't need to modify your JMS or if you want, you can just change the status in "cancel" to disable the entry in JMS. So that the entry remain present but inactive.

If you also want to move your DB to the other cPanel account, you can do that when you know that everything is OK with new cPanel account and before to switch the "Addon Domain"
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla