English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Legacy Site Import?
Legacy Site Import? 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Guys. Here's my situation

I currently have two independent Joomla sites on the same domain name.
mysite.com
aaa.mysite.com

Now that I have JMS2WIN, is it possible to bring the subdomain aaa.mysite.com as a slave under mysite.com without losing all my databases, templates, articles and formatting?

Thanks!
jeygifford
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Legacy Site Import? 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
It is not easy.
The idea is to ensure that all the extensions required by the slave site that you want to import as slave site are correctly installed.
When all the PHP code is present in the master (extensions installed) then you can create a fake slave site where you will re-use the "configuration.php" to replace with your current DB connection.

So the idea is to put the PHP code in the master by the install of the extension
and re-use the existing website to move configuration.php file DB connection to provide the new DB parameter to the slave site.

You will also have to check that you don't have images or specific directory where files or folders must be moved into the new slave site directory structure.

If you want that we help you doing that on your server, we also have billable support that can be ordered at
www.jms2win.com/download?page=shop.produ...35&category_id=1
edwin2win
graph

URGENT: Legacy Site Import? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
edwin2win wrote:
...When all the PHP code is present in the master (extensions installed) then you can create a fake slave site where you will re-use the "configuration.php" to replace with your current DB connection. ...

So the idea is to put the PHP code in the master by the install of the extension
and re-use the existing website to move configuration.php file DB connection to provide the new DB parameter to the slave site.

What you said is a bit confusing.

Does JMS Multi Site copy the legacy site database into the new slave site database?

Or would we be in effect, setting up the legacy site as a Plesk vhost (as described on page 22 of your manual) with it's own database and then "tricking" JMS Multisites into believing that it is now the slave site by loading the configuration.php file settings for the legacy site as the slave site's?

I'm not sure where the legacy site files would exist, e.g., the images for both the content and for the template?

If you could reply asap, I would appreciate it. I need to add this information into a report I have to present to my client, later today.

Thanks
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/07/11 14:28 By azurelink.Reason: Added more text.

Re: URGENT: Legacy Site Import? 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
If you want to do a copy of the DB, you can do it.
What we have told you is that you can re-use (connect) on the current DB once the slave site is defined in JMS.
Connect on the DB does not mean copy the DB and provide another DB connection.

The PHP code will exists at the place where you will defined it in your administration tool (here I suppose Plesk as you introduced this name).
In Plesk, it is recommended to use "subscription" that have all the files and folders managed with the same linux account (to have the same ownership).
So this will be in the place where you will have defined your domain or subdomain into the Plesk subscription.
edwin2win
graph

Re: URGENT: Legacy Site Import? 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin,

Okay, so I've setup my master site using cPanel, instead of Plesk. I added a slave site as an AddOn domain and have created it in JMS Multi Site.

JMS Multi Site has inserted Joomla core files into the slave site site directory, including what look like aliases or symlinks to the administrator, bin, cli, components, defines.php, images, includes, language, layouts, libraries,LICENSE.txt, media, modules, multisites, plugins, README.txt, robots.txt, and web.config.txt files and directories.

I want to know how I can import my legacy slave site into the new slave site. Note that I want separate content and databases for each slave site. Nothing is shared.

One goal is to be able to export individual slave sites if required. So what is the import process and where do I put each site's images and templates, and any other files needed to keep separate?

This information does not appear to be in the documentation.

Thanks!
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/12/04 02:31 By azurelink.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla