English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Synchronizing related questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Synchronizing related questions
Synchronizing related questions 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello there,

Forum admins please move this topic to the appropriate section if this one is inappropriate. Sorry for the trouble caused )
I am a regular user of Joomla and have made many websites using Joomla 1.5. I have a current scenario for which I need help you people.Your valuable suggestions would be highly appreciated. Please help me out. Here it is ->

There is a main(master) site which needs to be synchronized with other Joomla based sites(on different domains). ( I know this can be done with Multi Sites)
1- Now is there a possibility of using the same joomla installation (same database, same tables) and use it for multiple joomla installations so that whenever changes are made on the master site, they are automatically rolled on to the slave sites? What are the other possibilities of making this possible, i.e, synchronizing content from the master site with all of the slave sites using Multi Sites. (I don't know if I can share the same table in the database for multiple Joomla installations)

2- Can I share extensions,plugins,modules since we are using the same Joomla directory or do I have to always install the extensions,plugins,modules on all the slave sites too?

3- I also need this one to be available to front-end users. For example: When a user uploads a video file on 1 site, it should go live instantly on all of the websites.

4- I need users to upload articles and photos to the website but they should be approved by the site-admin before going live. (the user can write the article from anywhere)

Please let me know if the above mentioned things are supported by Joomla Multi Sites.
Also, if you could link me to the updates confirmed in the upcoming release that would be great.

Please reply back if you have any other questions related to this so that I can explain in more details.

Thanks,
~A
amit2403
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/06/07 11:24 By amit2403.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Synchronizing related questions 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
Based on your description, I think that you want to have a single website that can be reached from different domain name.
All the website having the same content.
If this is the case, you don't need JMS to acheive this objective as you only have to configuratoin your hosting server to share the same website directory (document root)

JMS does NOT share or does NOT synchronize the websites as explained in the product detail and also repeated in the FAQ
- /faq#sec-73
- /faq#sec-12
- /faq#sec-72

Q1) In standard, JMS create slave site with specific DB connection (at least different table prefix for each website).
Neverless, it is possible by manual procedure to create slave site using the same DB connection and table prefix. This can be used when you want to have exactly the same website but want to have a specific template directory in which you change the default layout.
In fact, if you have a single website (single DB with single table prefix) you don't need synchronisation as everything is identical.

Q2) In standard JMS, you have to re-install the extension in each slave site.
To avoid re-installing extensions, JMS gives the possibility to replicate a website.
In this case, up to you to pre-install extensions and data before the replication.

If you question is related to have a single DB with single table prefix, this question is not relevant as you share the same DB content. Automatically every thing is identical.

Q3) In standard JMS, the upload of files depends on the extension you are using to acheive this task. This depend how and where the extension save those videos.
If the video are saved in a shared directory for all the website, then it is perhaps possible to share them between the website. This will also depends if this extension save additional information into the DB that could make those video specific for a website.

If you question is related to the single DB and single table prefix then the question is not relevent as you have a single website.

Q4) See standard Joomla and its user groups properties (author, editor, publisher).
In JMS as remember at then begining of this reply, the users are totally independent and therefore manage the article is also totally independent.

If you question is related to the single DB and single table prefix then the question is not relevent as you have a single website.

I suggest that you have a look into the FAQ because I suspect that you think that JMS provide synchronisation between the website and this is NOT true.
JMS only share the files and folders on the disk.
See also the chapter 8 of the user manual that present the benefit in term of maintenance.
www.jms2win.com/documentation/doc_downlo...rs-manual-version-11

We are working on a JMS 1.2.x that will be able to share the users and perhaps also some extensions. We hope that it will be available this month or in july.
edwin2win
graph
Last Edit: 2009/06/07 14:21 By edwin2win.

Re:Synchronizing related questions 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Hey thanks a lot for that quick reply Admin. I will surely have a look with the faq's and see if the JMS works out for me. I am quite unsure however about certain aspects. Will get back to you with another questions after thoroughly looking through the faq's and the manual.

Thanks,
~A
amit2403
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla