English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

SOLVED! Error, slave site configuration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: SOLVED! Error, slave site configuration
SOLVED! Error, slave site configuration 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Thanks for the great extension. I think I miss something and couldn't figured it out from the tutorial and user manual. So this is how it goes:

1) I installed the JMS comp 1.1.X to an exiting site without any problem.
2) I registered it and installed the patches successfully.
3) I checke with JMS settings and the Symbolic Links is forbidden by my server.
4) I set up Slave1 (i.e slave1.mysite.com) on the JMS site manager and it was confirmed
5) I went to my hosting CP in this case its netfirms, and setup the subdomain name as follows: a)login to CP b) click on domain C) select the master domain name, d) click admin e)click on subdomain tap f) add the subdomain e.g mysubdomain g) click add. I end up with the following messages; Sub domain name added. (Please allow 24 hours for these settings to take effect.)
6) Waited 24hrs for the setting to be effective.
7)Picked up on tutorial step 13.
8) I end up with error message; Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /multisites/OBslave1/ on this server.
9) I went to the directory "multisite" and changed permission to 777
10) I retried from step 7) above and still endup with the same error

I am using Joomla ver 1.5.7

Thank you very much,
lotvot
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2009/04/27 04:31 By lotvot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Error, slave site configuration & Intstallatio 15 Years ago Karma: 54
When the Symbolic Link is forbidden, you have to setup the hosting CP with the path of the master website (not the /multisites/OBSlave1). (See tutorial Step 8)
You can test the hosting CP concifugration with the "Hello World" procedure.
See tutorial Step 10.

You can not use the tutorial step 13 that is applicable when Symbolic Link is allowed. (That is not your case).

I also suggest to review the concept explained in the Tutorial step 0.

I think that your problem is relative to the wrong path in the hosting CP - subdomain configuration.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Error, slave site configuration & Intstallatio 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi edwin2win ,

Thanks for the response for my question. I have tried to follow your explanation above to the best that I could. but I am not still not able to get it to the standard installation. excuse me for my lack of insight as I am still trying to learn about this.

Anyhow this is what I did, I changed the .../multisites/OBSlave1 to ..../mainsite.com/ then I try this on the browser, mainsite.com/installtion/index.php then hit enter. Instead of arriving at the joomla installation page I arrived at the frontpage of the main site. However the url on the browser stated, www.OBslave1.mainsite.com

Second try; I change the CP to .../OBslave1.mainsite.com/ then repeat the browser pointing to the installation and I still end up with the main site frontpage.

Please advise on what I possibly did wrong and perhaps give an example of the correct path format I should use in the CP as you referred above to you have to setup the hosting CP with the path of the master website (not the /multisites/OBSlave1).

As you can see I am still a bit clouded about this configuration and having a hard time following the tutorial especially the control panel mapping of directory.

Thanks
lotvot
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/04/23 05:55 By lotvot.

Have you followed the tutorial step by step.
I don't know if you have the Symbolic Link allowed.
If YES, and you want to deploy the slave site into a specific directory, you have to ensure that this directory already exists. By default, the sample use the /multisites/xxx directory because this directory is created by JMS to save its configuration.

To check the Hosting Server configuration for domain an sub-domain, Joomla and JMS is not required. You can use the "Hello World" procedure as explained in the tutorial.
I suggest that you review the video present in the tutorial step 0 that present the concept.

You first have to reply to the question about the Symbolic Link.
Does it allowed. If YES, in general, you can configure you Hosting Server as usual and give the path provided by your hosting server into the JMS "deploy directory".
Otherwise, you have to provide the same path than the master website.
edwin2win
graph

Re:Error, slave site configuration & Intstallatio 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Thank you for responding, as mentioned above in my post that the Symbolic Link is forbidden. As stated on the settings of the JMS component. I have followed the instruction regarding tutorial step 7 with the hello.text file but it didn't show.

I followed your instruction to watch the tutorial 0, somehow I can't put my mind around it. I think I was loss in mapping the directory of the subdomain to be the same with the master directory.

What I am trying to do is to set up lots of multi slave sites with 2 DB one for the Master and the other for the slaves as I only have a limited DB.

I am sorry that I find it a bit challenging to understand this configuration but I appreciate every help that you are providing.

Thanks
lotvot
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/04/27 04:21 By lotvot.

Concerning the "Hello World", start to put the "hello.txt" and "hello.php" in the root of your website to check the configuration.
If you don't arrive to see them, this is either because you have put them in a wrong place or that you have perhaps a permission problem to execute the PHP script. Normally, the "hello.txt" should always be displayed. This is the reason why I have also provided the "hello.txt". Just to test the path.
Once you will be able to execute the "hello.php" file, this will allow to verify that Symbolic Link is really forbidden and that this is not a problem of configuratoin of your "tmp" and "log" path in the "Global Configuration".

When Symbolic Link is forbidden, you have to ensure that all the website share the same directory.
Based on your screenshot, i suppose that the master website root directory is "www/consumerguidereview.org"

If this is the case, you have to ensure that the sub-domain use exactly the same path.
This is probably the case, but I am not sure that you have nothing after the "consumerguidereview.org/"

The second potentail problem is the "fowarding URL".
I don't understand why you have enabled this option.
When using forwarding, this change the domain name present in the URL and then JMS will not received the original domain name or original URL.

Perhaps you will have to use the "CNAME" that consist in setup of the DNS to define a synonym (an alias) of the main entry (probably or consumerguidereview.org).
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla