English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Edit slave site deletes first menu item
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Edit slave site deletes first menu item
Edit slave site deletes first menu item 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

we created a master and about 20 slave sites without any problems. (Joomla 2.5)

Now we have to edit the slave sites to add another url. That should update the slave sites tables as I understood. Well it did, but we have one problem :

On the slave sites the first menu item of each menu is deleted. Even we don't have any menu on master. Well we have to have one for the frontpage, but changed the database id of that entry to 9999. So there shouldn't be any interference.

Please explain or help. Currently I consider this as a bug.

Best regards and thanks for any help

Tony
antonkejr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Edit slave site deletes first menu item 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
Sorry but I don't see what could cause that.

If you think this is a bug, can you provide a clear scenario that we can reproduce and after that debug to identify the origin.

Describe also the context and the setup of the slave.
Do you replicate an existing website.

You mentioned a database id. What do you mean ?
Do you mean the field id in the #__menu table present in the DB ?
OR is it an extension ID ?
Which ID ? Which table ?
edwin2win
graph

Re: Edit slave site deletes first menu item 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

thanks a lot for the answer.

I'll try to describe the scenario ...

We have a master which had some content, menus, modules at the beginning. From this master we created slaves with a slightly modified template "freshSlaveDomain": We create all slaves in a slave-database with slavename as prefix. The master has a an own database.

master is in a server folder and on same level we have all slave sites. We didnt change anything on tab "Folders and files" in our modified template. Its still exactly the same as in "freshSlaveDomain".

Ok, we created our slaves with the content we had created in master.

Then we realized that this doesn't make sense and we emptied the master. We deleted any module we created and any pages and any menus. So we ended up with an empty master where we had only one menu left with one item for the start page in it. We couldn't get rid of that as Joomla doesnt permit a delete.

Well now we have to edit the slaves (in master) to add urls and we thought we could deploy some users created now on master and some parameter settings of modules and components to the slave sites this way.

Well the latter worked: users and parameter settings were deployed after save of a slave site as expected.

BUT in each menu defined in our slave sites the first menu item got lost when saving the slave site definition.

Well I thought it could be the menu we couldn't delete on master. see above. So I set via phpMyAdmin the ids in #__menu and #__menutypes to an id which can't interfere with these ids in same tables on slaves:
#__menutypes:
Code:

9999  replicated-home-menu  Replicated Home Menu  (please delete)  Replicated Home Menu (please delete)

#__menu:
Code:

999101  replicated-home-menu  Not to be used  not-used     not-used

But this didn't change anything. From both menus defined on slave sites, the first menu item was gone after we save a slave on master.

Could I describe the problem ?

Best Regards and thanks for helping us

Tony
antonkejr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Edit slave site deletes first menu item 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
Based on what I understand, you :
1) created a master website where you setup menu and modules.
2) created a slave site that replicate the master with all its menu and modules
3) In the master, you have deleted the modules and menu item defined.
4) With PHPMyAdmin, you have "hacked" the #__menutypes and #__menu to set a value 9999 and 999101
5) You did an action (I don't know which one)
6) You open the current slave site definition in JMS and you re-save it.

After that you see that the menu present in the slave site disappear.

Can you check the #__menu id value and compare it between the master and the slave site.
Does the records are identical ?
Can you describe how the slave site took in consideration your hack of the menu, menutype in the master. Does these values are updated in the slave site ?

In JMS, when you refresh a slave site (open/save), it tries to add the missing tables into the slave site and if it discovers that new extensions (components, modules, plugins, ...) are added, it tries to update the menu to add the definition of those new extensions. As you have hacked the value in the menu, I don't know what could be the result.

I will try reproducing a such special scenario.

Can you describe the action 5 that you did and that would result by a "refresh icon" in the slave site definition that would explain the action 6.
edwin2win
graph

Re: Edit slave site deletes first menu item 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

sorry for the delay, but I was on a business trip.

In principle you understood what we did.

One remark to the table hack :
I did this hack after I experienced the trouble with the lost first menu items on slave sites. It didn't change anything. Same problem afterwards.

>>Can you describe the action 5 that you did and that would result by a "refresh icon" in the
>>slave site definition that would explain the action 6.
Well we worked with subdomains (i.e. test.zar-berlin.de) as on the domain itself (www.zar-berlin.de) the Typo3 website is productive which we migrate to Joomla. Now we want to go live and add the real urls to the slave definition (zar-berlin.de and www.zar-berlin.de).
Some minor settings in JCE and some users I want to deploy with the save of the definition as well.

So no "refresh icon". Just updating the urls.

Does it make things clearer ?

Best Regards

Tony
antonkejr
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Edit slave site deletes first menu item 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
This seems similar to my issue: www.jms2win.com/en/forum/29-help-for-con...by-its-template-data

Has this been resolved?
djdesjardins
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2013/09/28 21:01 By djdesjardins.

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla