English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

configuration.php outside root and folder chmod
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: configuration.php outside root and folder chmod
configuration.php outside root and folder chmod 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi

I recently bought JMS Multisite Full and tried to install it on an already working site. I faced several problems but I'm going to separate them so the thread might be helpful in the future for each one of them.

I'm on a Joomla 2.5.7 at the moment. I have installed a component called RS Firewall. In order to comply with its security advices and other non-component specific and basic Joomla security advices, I moved the file configuration.php outside the root folder that at the present time is home/user/public_html. I have also 755 permission on every folder and 644 on every file inside my root path. I'm using cPanel on my webhosting also.

First I faced the problem

Impossible to backup Joomla core files
Error: Backup failed

Also the
/home/user/public_html/administrator/components/com_multisites/backup_on_install folder is created but not populated.

INSTALL_MAXMIND_TITLE
INSTALL_MAXMIND_ICC_LABEL File not present
INSTALL_MAXMIND_CITY_LABEL File not present

Some translation strings are missed also.

If I click on Register I get this error:

jms2winfactory.php: Unable to read configuration file [/home/user/public_html/configuration.php]

Do I have to move the configuration.php again into root folder updating the includes/defines.php and administrator/includes/defines.php?

How could I protect configuration.php afterwards?

Regards
davilafran
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2012/09/18 03:36 By davilafran.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:configuration.php outside root and folder chmod 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Later on I uninstalled the component and tried moving configuration.php within the root path.
Also I modified accordingly the files /includes/defines.php and /administrator/includes/defines.php

Now the Backup error is gone and /public_html/administrator/components/com_multisites/backup_on_install is correctly populated.

Tried to update the Countries and cities database. I got the File not Present for the Countries and Error 500 for the cities.

On my php.ini setup I also have:

allow_url_fopen = Off

I tried with it On to see if this update problem was related to it. But it wasn't the right solution.

Skipping the Geo database issue for now I moved on and I could successfully register the component.
davilafran
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/09/18 03:48 By davilafran.

Re:configuration.php outside root and folder chmod 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
After some workaround with other problems I finally manage to install the component but I wonder if we have to leave configuration.php on the public_html folder after install.

Tried to move it but it creates problems again.

Is this a security threat?
davilafran
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:configuration.php outside root and folder chmod 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
YES the configuration.php file must remain in the public_html directory.
There is no parameter yet in JMS to allow declaring another directory where the "configuration.php" is located.

On which language did you install JMS ?
You mentioned missing language files.
JMS 1.3 contain the english files. We don't have translated them into the other language available with JMS 1.2

The /include/defines.php are the default "define" provided by joomla and can be replaced by something else. JMS use the feature to provide another "define" file.
So the "/includes/define.php" is ignored.

In joomla 2.5 it is strongly advice to avoid modifying the standard joomla "/includes/define/php" file.

Concerning the download of the Geo localisation file, we use the standard joomla download package system that require to have the "allow open url" enabled.

If you want not download the free geo file, you can still do it manually and upload the files in JMS by FTP.
The files are large. The city one is more than 18MB.
edwin2win
graph

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla