English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Understanding the "List of Extensions" Page
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Understanding the "List of Extensions" Page
Understanding the "List of Extensions" Page 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
The List of Extensions page (/en/list-of-extensions) is clearly a very useful resource but I am having a little difficultly understanding the exact meaning of the different columns.

Here are the results for Jomres:

... as both the "Install" column and the "Sharing 3.3" column have a green tick, am I correct to understand that this means that a separate instance of Jomres can be installed on each site within the multisite network?

And, what is the difference between the "Install" tick and the "Sharing 3.3" tick? Do they denote different abilities? The page does not make this clear. Does "Sharing 3.3" mean that the extension does not have to be individually installed on each slave site, that the actual code only has to exist in the master site?

Here are the results for sh404SEF:

... does this mean that sh404SEF can be installed on the master site but cannot be installed on the slave sites? Again, I am struggling to understand the difference between the Install column and the numbered Sharing columns. Does this mean that I have to individually install the actual sh404SEF code in each slave site?

Here are the results for Akeeba:

... obviously, Akeeba Backup is an extremely important tool, does this mean that the Akeeba extensions have to be installed, individually, on each slave site? Or does it mean that Akeeba simply cannot be used on slave sites?

I am also unable to understand why some rows in each table have a green background, while other rows have a grey background:

As I said, the list is clearly a useful resource for people, like me, trying to work out it Joomla Multisite will work in their situation, so, I hope you can explain how we should decode it. Thank you Edwin.
donnacha
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/10/26 15:24 By donnacha.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Understanding the "List of Extensions" Page 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
Install and sharing are 2 differents things.
When you are using the JMS Tool menu to install an extension or share the whole content of an extension, this impact the way that the MySQL tables used by this extension are created.

When you install an extension, this make a copy of the MySQL tables.
When you share the content of an extension, you create a Link to the MySQL table.

To know which tables are used by an extension, we have to define them in configuration files that are included in JMS and require that we review the PHP source code of the extension to know if it can be shared or not.
The matrix that you can see reflect the merge of all our extension definition in a more easy human reading form.
This definition is Joomla version specific.

When you have an extension that is not defined for the sharing, you can always send the the installation package by email for a review and a request for the sharing in a specific joomla version. When this is possible to add that in standard, we do it for a next release of JMS.
In case where there are constraints that forbid to define it in standard inside JMS due to potential inconsistencies, sometimes, we propose to create a specific plugin for the customer that will accept the risk of inconsistencies and limitations.

Concerning the background color, this make reference to the Joomla core extension that can not really be uninstalled. As they are part of the core of joomla, we used another color.

Concerning the backup with Akeeba Backup, it does not work because it only perform the backup of a single website and may also have problem to perform the backup of links between different websites.
This is the reason why you can find in our free download the weekly backup shell script that is able to perform the backup of a single website or all websites.
The shell script is designed for WHM/cPanel and assumed that you are using our JMS recommendation concerning the domain/subdomain directory structure.
www.jms2win.com/en/component/docman/doc_...ackup-script-all-dbs
edwin2win
graph

Re: Understanding the "List of Extensions" Page 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Edwin, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I now fully understand this list.
donnacha
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2014/10/27 18:19 By donnacha.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla