English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Process for exporting an individual slave site
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Process for exporting an individual slave site
Process for exporting an individual slave site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
I am wondering what the process would be for exporting a single slave site? My client has many affiliate sites to manage, and inevitably an affiliate may decide to break off from my client and would probably want to take their Joomla slave site to another host of their own.

Can you please give us a rundown of what the initial setup would have to be, so that a site could be exported out of the Multi Sites system, and also what the export process would be?

Thank you!
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/06/25 13:50 By azurelink.Reason: added text
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Process for exporting an individual slave site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
Basically, you have to do a backup of the master to have the PHP code and that you will restore somewhere else.
Once you have restored the master, you can uninstall JMS to get a standalone Joomla.
When done, you can copy all the specific files and folders of your slave site into the new location.

Such kind of operation can be done with a linux tar command.
See the FAQ for the backup / restore.
www.jms2win.com/en/faq/faq-joomla-multi-sites#cat-268

tar -chzf [Deploy Dir].tgr [Deploy Dir]

If you do this command in the slave site deploy directory, you will get both master and slave site files merged together.

Once you have that, you have to make a backup of you DB to be able restore it into the new standalone location
edwin2win
graph

Re: Process for exporting an individual slave site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for your reply and for the link to the backup information and script.

I'm assuming that the merged version would include the site files for all of the other slave sites, correct? How would I eliminate that? I know I can uninstall unnecessary extensions. What about other slave site content and image files?

Thanks!
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Process for exporting an individual slave site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Polite bump
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Process for exporting an individual slave site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
If you have correctly put each websites in their own specific directories as we recommend it and proposed by the default template rules then NO you will not have the content of the other sites as by definition, each website have their own directory that is never a subdirectory of another website.

If you put the images of all the websites into the same directory, of course, you will have the backup of such images directory with the content of all the websites.

In general, we suggest to have 2 directories for the images.
/images
/images_specific

So if you used that to separated you shared images from the specific website images, you would not have any merged content.
edwin2win
graph

Thanks for your reply.

I'm confused by your images path structure as it relates to the individual slave site directories.

Does your second example, "/images, /images_specific" not apply to the first example where each site has it's own specific directory? I assume in the first example, each site directory contains its own "images" directory, correct?

Please clarify.
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla