English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Problems creating slave sites, blank pages
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Problems creating slave sites, blank pages
Problems creating slave sites, blank pages 14 Years ago Karma: 0
Hi there,

I'm having massive problems creating a slave site. I've setup a template according to my needs and db settings. then when I go to Manage Sites and create a slave site using either the created template or creating it as a fresh slave site, I get an error message, that the symbolic links can't be created even though in the settings of multisites it states that symbilc links are allowed and for mymsql sharing is supported. I've got to enable the ftp layer to have permissions for the files and folders on the server. If I disable the ftp layer the symbolic links are created, but somehow I then only have a blank page for both the master homepage Back- and Front-End as well as for the slave site. I then have to go to my backup of my master site and restore that in order to be able to get logged into that at all! What other files are changed in the master installation when creating a slave site, is it configuration.php, index.php.....???????
Does anyone have a suggestion?, please
I've tried multisites on a different server, no problems there, so I'm sure I'm using the right settings and configurations for the slave site and for the templates.

Cheers,

Chris
chrhill
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Problems creating slave sites, blank pages 14 Years ago Karma: 54
Symbolic Link and FTP Layer are two differents things.
It is not possible to create Symbolic Link with the login of FTP.

If you enabled the FTP Layer this is probably because you have inconsistency between the owner of the files and folder present on the disk.
Start to check the owner of all the directories and is probably different and may explain why you have "blank" page if you don't have permission to access some parts.

The Symbolic Link is tested on the website itself.
If you try to deploy the slave site outside your environment, you may have security that does not allow do that. This is the case with Plesk administration and subdomain or domain. In this case, you have to change the HTTP Server configuration.

Try to create slave site in a subdirectory like presented in the tutorial video 9.
If this work and not with your own setting, the reason would be probably confirmed that you try deploy the slave site into a directory where you don't have permission
edwin2win
graph

Re: Problems creating slave sites, blank pages 14 Years ago Karma: 0
well I got a bit further, I can now create a slave site into site_url/multisites/site_id, with the symbolic links present, a had to do a fresh joomla install for the master site. But when I try to log into the slave sites administrator I get an error message saying, that I don't have permission to do so. How can I log into the back-end of the slave site?

I tried to create a slave site using a template with copy folders instead of symbolic links, that looked to work until I noticed that within the back-end not all menus and buttons are working the global configuration looked strange, all settings where shown on the first page and most of all the multisites folder is created over and over again something like:

multisites/site_id/multisites/site_id/multisites/site_id............. I got down to like 20 folders!!!

I'm still in contact with the provider, I've tried setting multisites up with a different webprovider, worked fine there, so I guess there might still be an issue with the server settings.

When I create a slave site no matter if it's a fresh site or according to a template, I still have to change the permission settings for the created files and folders, otherwise I can't install new templates, components etc.

I just noticed that I still can't create a fresh slave site I get an error message "403 Forbidden" when I try to open the slave site, the only files and folders created are:

1 folder: "cache"
and
1 file: "config_multisites.php"

nothing else!
chrhill
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Problems creating slave sites, blank pages 14 Years ago Karma: 54
Concering the multisites directory loop, this is absolutelly normal when you deploy a slave site into this directory.

What do you mean by "I don't have permission".
Which is the exact error message ?
Do you have a server error or a web page ?

The Forbidden error message may be due to a lower or higher directory permission. Try to change chmod 777 to see if you can access the directory.
edwin2win
graph

this is what it looks like in my ftp-client

chrhill
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/05/21 08:59 By chrhill.

It seems that I found a solution using copy for most folders in the template settings rather than using symbolc links.
I'll check if this works out the way I need it to.

thanks for your help

kind regards

chris
chrhill
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla