English (United Kingdom)
Jms Multi Site, formerly joomla multisite.
Create, share multiple joomla sites in few clicks !

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Subdomains in JMS but without primary domain
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Subdomains in JMS but without primary domain
Subdomains in JMS but without primary domain 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Hi Edwin --

Here is an interesting question:

I have a number of subdomain sites that I need to bring into JMS, but I don't want to bring the primary domain into JMS. Can that be done. The subdomains are not registered .com domains. Just setup on the current server. So we need to keep the ability access them through the current URL.

For example:

The subdomains are now currently like this:

subdomain1.mydomain.com
subdomain2.mydomain.com
subdomain3.mydomain.com

But the JMS site URL is:

www.mydomain.net

Is it possible to have the subdomain URLs which end with .com point to the JMS with .net (on a different server (different IP), same network)?

Again, I do not what to bring mydomain.com into the JMS, if I can avoid it. (I could bring it onto the same server, if needed, but the subdomains must be in the JMS.

I hope that is clearly explained.
azurelink
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Subdomains in JMS but without primary domain 9 Years ago Karma: 54
Create a synonym for a subdomain on an existing domain is possible but the website must be on the same server and use the same master.
In JMS template, you can also create an alias directory where you could make your subdomain directory that is a link to your slave site directory.
So that, you can make you subdomain.domain.com directory located on your server to be a synonym of the domain.net/slavesite (or other slave site URL).

Your question seems to make reference to different servers.

The IP is not a key element for JMS. This is DNS related.
JMS works with files and folders that must be shared on the disk between the slave and the master.

The fact that the DNS is declared on another server is not a problem as long as your apache is configure to recognize the subdomain on your server.

So you must distinguish the DNS from apache with the location on the disk and JMS that use the apache "document root" location.
The public IPs are used to identify the server.
Apache make the relationship between the domain (or subdomain) and the "document root" location on the disk.
JMS create links inside the apache domain/subdomain "docuemnt root" directory and the master localisation (directory)

We have case (including ourself) where we have DNS that is manage from our registrar infrastructure instead of our server.

If the IP are "private/intranet IPs", you can also setup JMS with those IP in the url as well as port number.

I hope this will help you configure correctly your DNS, apache and finally JMS deploy directories.
edwin2win
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
get the latest posts directly to your desktop
2Win, Multisite(s) are trademarks of Edwin2Win.
Joomla